Wild sustainable Alaska seafood is world-renowned and on Alaska Sea Adventures yacht Northern Song our guests have the pleasure of savoring it at the source. We understand that food is an important component in leisure travel and that regional foods bring a destination to life.
With that in mind, our longtime chef takes pride in preparing the locally caught salmon, crab, halibut, shrimp, caviar and black cod that we purchase from Southeast Alaska fishermen or catch with our guests while they are onboard.
Our fully equipped state of the art kitchen features an open floor plan, and each day our chef creates three fabulous meals plus snacks and hors d’oeuvres. Guests enjoy lingering around the center island and chatting with our chef, watching while he skillfully fillets a salmon, cooks a pot of Dungeness crab, or dices vegetables for a sauce.
We serve select boutique wines with every dinner. Specialty beers from Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau are featured as well. Our guests are welcome to bring their own additional wine and/or spirits for making specialty cocktails. Some of our guests also choose to have their favorite specialty wines shipped to us in advance of the charter.
Our chef crafts his menus daily and according to seasonal availability. Here is a culinary sampler of what our guests enjoy:
- Wild Alaska Salmon—Alaska is the land of king, coho and sockeye salmon and our chef has a keen affinity for working with these luscious fish. Whether it is grilled, seared, skewered, sauced or served naked, we are sure that our Alaska salmon will wow you to your toes!
Spot Prawns—Delicious eaten raw or cooked and served in their shells, Alaska spot prawns are a delicacy that we often catch ourselves while cruising through local waterways. Brought on board alive and kicking, these spiny bright red creatures will create the ultimate vacation taste memory!
- Halibut—Revered for its white flesh and big buttery flakes, halibut is an Alaska specialty that repeatedly impresses our guests. Naturally versatile, our chef prepares this fish in a myriad of ways. Sautéed halibut cheeks smothered in a delectable sauce are a favorite with guests.
- Salmon Caviar—When the opportunity arises, we catch salmon ourselves and cure the eggs right on the boat to create the ultimate mouth-popping caviar for our guests! A local luxury at its finest!
- Rockfish—Often caught during charters by guests, rockfish is a firmer textured white fleshed fish that lends itself to a variety of tasty preparations.
Captain’s Dinner—Captain Dennis creates two special dinners during the trip, each featuring his buttery sake kasu marinated black cod or his signature grill-planked salmon dish.
- Special Requests and Dietary Needs—Before we embark on a journey, each guest fills out a dietary questionnaire so that we can meet culinary preferences and dietary needs in the most efficient and gracious manner. We accommodate vegan, vegetarian, and gluten intolerance and stock our kitchen accordingly before we embark.
- Wines—At dinner each evening, we serve select boutique wines from small wineries in California. Captain Dennis has visited many of these wineries and has personally selected the chosen wines. See our wines page for more information.
- We serve Alaskan Brewing Company beers. Carefully crafted in Juneau, these award-winning beers, many of them seasonal, have been a local favorite since 1986.
“So I guess the writer was left struggling for words and the chef was awed. That says it all”.
DK & MK
- M/V Northern Song Specifications
- M/V Northern Song Tour
- Skiffs & Sea Kayaks
- Almond Cardamom Granola
- Blueberry Rhubarb Chutney with Rosemary Thyme Crackers
- Marinated Sockeye Salmon with Crispy Shallots and Capers
- Chocolate Pots du Crème
- Alaska Cranberry Sauce
- Norwegian Brown Sugar Butter Cookies with Cardamom & Black Pepper
- Slow Roasted Winter King Salmon with Pine Nut Gremolata
- Alaska Crab Cakes
- Sake Kasu Black Cod
- Grandma Alma’s Lemon Spritz Cookies